I was spitting tacks when we left for my sister’s last night. The Dad insisted on taking the Prius because the saving in gas is significant. I couldn’t imagine any amount of money worth traveling with Hope in the Prius on a ten or eleven hour ride. My fears were valid. Hope nutted up and The Dad spoke softly and called her his “baby”, while growling at GB to leave her sister alone. I should have just stayed home. My frame of mind was the pits at that point and I couldn’t find the peaceful spot inside that my therapist and I have been working on. So I switched my focus to keeping my mouth shut. I was successful. I figured I wouldn’t say another word until we were at Lynn’s house.
I was startled by a huge bump and the strangest sounds coming from the car. Three in the morning, three hours from Lynn’s, we hit a deer. The Dad couldn’t open his door and a tremendous amount of steam rose from the engine. GB and Hope woke up, but, thankfully, no one was hurt. Hope was snarly, which is how she always wakes up. Fortunately, while she raged earlier, she didn’t lose it then. We waited a half hour for a Virginia State Trooper and another half hour for a tow truck. By 4:15 we were in a hotel room.
This room has a complete, full size, set of stainless steel appliances, including a garbage disposal, and granite counter tops. The bedroom is completely separate. There is a kitchen table, a couch, a desk and an easy chair.
This morning we woke up to find we didn’t have comprehensive on the Prius and would have to pay cash to solve this problem. Not great, especially since, the Dad just took a half time leave, and our living money was cut in half.
I am grateful because:
- Ten years ago, The Dad would have lost it completely. He stayed intact and dealt.
- GB has always been a good car rider and trusts us completely. Telling her everything was going to be ok and her believing us was big last night.
- Hope was Hope, but when we hit the deer, she didn’t rage, she just got snarly.
- God has always met our needs and I trust that he will this time.
- We will get to my sister’s by Thanksgiving, even if it is not on my schedule.
Most of all, we are all safe and together. Everything else pales beside this.
Wishing you all a Blessed Thanksgiving!